After allowing Sporting Kansas City to ruin their own home opener last weekend, the Philadelphia Union took to the road and did the same to the Colorado Rapids at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park. The match, originally scheduled for Saturday, was postponed until Sunday afternoon due to snow in the area. On a still-frosty Colorado afternoon, temperatures barely above freezing as snowbanks ringed the pitch, it was Philadelphia that ultimately prevailed as Jack McInerney’s late goal broke a 1-1 deadlock.
The Rapids missed several prime chances to take the lead in the first half hour, and they would lose captain Pablo Mastroeni just eight minutes into the match to a left hamstring injury. Ultimately, after Colorado squandered multiple chances, it was Philadelphia who lit up the scoreboard first. The Union earned a corner kick in the 34th minute. Sebastien Le Toux took the ball to the spot, whipping in a cross. As Colorado goalkeeper Matt Pickens — back in goal after missing last week’s season opener due to a right shin injury — hesitated as the corner came in; by the time he reacted, Amobi Okugo had slipped behind him to head in the ball. Philadelphia would take their 1-0 lead into the locker room as both teams tried to warm up at halftime.
Colorado came out rejuvenated for the second half, Jamie Smith coming on for Dillon Powers and sparking the attack. In the 68th minute, he took a pass from Deshorn Brown and tapped the ball over the outstretched fingertips of Philadelphia goalkeeper Zac MacMath for the equalizer.
More substitutions would follow on both sides after the tying goal. The Union gained the bigger advantage, as Antoine Hoppenot came on for Le Toux and set up fellow striker McInerney for the game winner eight minutes after entering the game. Catching the Rapids napping on a counterattack, Hoppenot slotted a through ball cleanly for McInerney to run on; the youngster calmly slipped his shot past Pickens and defender Drew Moor to give the visitors the victory. The loss was Colorado’s first in a home opener since moving to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in 2007.
PHILADELPHIA UNION @ COLORADO RAPIDS
Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
March 10, 2013
- 34′ — PHI/Amobi Okugo (Sebastien Le Toux)
- 68′ — COL/Jamie Smith (unassisted)
- 79′ — PHI/Jack McInerney (Antoine Hoppenot)
- COL (4-3-3): Matt Pickens; Brian Mullan, Diego Calderon, Drew Moor, Marvell Wynne; Dillon Powers (Jamie Smith/45′), Hendry Thomas, Pablo Mastroeni (Nick LaBrocca/8′); Kevin Harbottle, Deshorn Brown, Atiba Harris (Tony Cascio/71′)
- PHI (4-1-2-1-2): Zac MacMath; Raymon Gaddis, Jeff Parke, Amobi Okugo, Sheanon Williams; Brian Carroll; Danny Cruz, Michael Farfan (Michael Lahoud/78′); Keon Daniel (Gabriel Farfan/64′); Jack McInerney, Sebastien Le Toux (Antoine Hoppenot/71′)