Sine Doug took care of the recap for the USA – Mexico game already and as well as some takeaways learned so I thought I’d share my personal evaluations of the players that made it on the pitch. Instead of giving each player a score from 1 – 10, I’m going to list something each player did well and not so well.
Brad Guzan (GK)
- Pro: he (along center the centerbacks) commanded the box pretty well. He saw a lot of shots and didn’t seem phased at all.
- Con: Umm..I can’t think of one from the Aston Villa man.
DeMarcus Beasley (LB)
- Pro: The fact that he hung in there after picking up a yellow card early while dealing with a lot of pressure was impressive.
- Con: His positioning needed to be better but should we really expect more out of someone playing out of position?
Matt Besler (CB)
- Pro: His ability to distribute the ball (even while under pressure) was very strong.
- Con: The yellow on Dos Santos was necessary but perhaps it could’ve been avoided (I’m nitpicking)?
Omar Gonzalez (CB)
- Pro: Omar was in full fledge BEAST MODE all game long.
- Con: His passing could be better
Geoff Cameron (RB)
- Pro: He contained Guradado pretty well.
- Con: Wasn’t able to do much when attacking but he was also playing out of position.
Michael Bradley (CDM)
- Pro: He composure on the ball was amazing and he miss only one, that’s right, out of fifty-eight attempted.
- Con: His defensive duties hindered his ability to contribute more in the attack.
Maurice Edu (CDM)
- Pro: His hustle and athleticism was very helpful.
- Con: He got away with a foul on the box. Also, his ability on the ball is negative. The ball simply doesn’t advance forward on his feet (have I mentioned how much I dislike him lately? Oh yeah, I have on twitter).
Herculuez Gomez (LM)
- Pro: His motor and hustle.
- Con: His set pieces delivery was off this game.
Clint Dempsey (AM)
- Pro: when he had the ball in the attacking half, he was able to create some plays.
- Con: He did so much defending that he was unable to do more on offense.
Graham Zusi (RM)
- Pro: He made a great play towards the end of the game to break up a play in the box.
- Con: He didn’t do much offensively. Shoot, nothing stands out in my head when thinking about when he had the ball.
Jozy Altidore (ST)
- Pro: Was typically involved when US threatened Mexico
- Con: He didn’t link with the midfield well. He needs to get over the fact that he’s not going to get the same kind of service he seems with his club.
Eddie Johnson (ST sub for Altidore)
- Pro: Utilized his size better than Altidore
- Con: I think he tried to get to cute at times when holding up the ball.
Brad Evans (LM sub for Gomez)
- Pro: Brought much needed fresh legs to the midfield….it’s the nicest thing I can think of.
- Con: Made a dumb foul toward the end of the game that gave Mexico a set piece just outside the box towards the end of the game.
Brek Shea (RM sub for Zusi. Swapped with Evans to play LM)
- Pro: Seemed to do a slightly better job on the left than Evans but didn’t have much time on the pitch.
- Con: The few times he got the ball in the air, he lost the majority of the battles.