Last week I looked into who I thought play on the United States’ CONCACAF Gold Cup squad. You can check it out here.
I went with the approach that the USMNT “B-Team” would focus on the Gold Cup while the “A-Team” would rest and prep for the World Cup Qualifiers. Well, I’m not so sure about that since it was announced that the winner of this competition would face the 2015 winner to determine who represents CONCACAF at the Confederations Cup.
We might see a change in Coach K’s approach and embrace more of the American way to grind out wins vs. playing more beautiful, attacking soccer. With that said, here’s what I’m thinking:
- Tim Howard (Everton, EPL) – As long as he is healthy, he’s the number one keeper. End of story.
- Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, EPL) - Brad has had an amazing season for club and now country. I believe he’s the heir to the throne and will take over the number one spot after this World Cup cycle is done.
- Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake, MLS) - His veteran experience and quality make’s him the real number three on the depth chart. However, Coach K may go with someone younger.
- Fabian Johnson (LB/LM – 1899 Hoffenhiem, German Bundesliga) - Fabian is the top guy for us. No one is making a case to replace.
- Edgar Castillo (LB/LM – Tijuana, Liga MX) - His club play has made him the #2 man on the list. He’s back from his injury so he should be called up.
- Geoff Cameron (CB/FB – Stoke City, EPL) - I’m not sure if his immediate future is a CB or RB for the USMNT.
- Omar Gonzalez (CB – LA Galaxy, MLS) - His play for both club and country will soon make him the top CB if he can keep the form up.
- Matt Besler (CB – Sporting KC, MLS) - I really like how he complimented Gonzales.
- Clarence Goodson (CB - Brøndby IF, Danish Superliga) – I think people on the interwebz are being really harsh on him. I think he didn’t lose his spot based on recent play.
- Timothy Chandler (RB/LB – Nurenburg, German Bundesliga) - I’m gonna admit that I’m nervous about how many games he will ever play for us. Something always seems to come up.
- Steve Cherundolo (RB – Hannover 96, German Bundesliga) - He’s playing for his club again! That mean’s he’s automatically back in the top 2.
- DaMarcus Beasley (LM/LB – Puebla, Liga MX) - His versatility and experince really paid dividens. He’s earned another call.
- Brek Shea (LM) - Stoke City, EPL) - I see Brek as a super sub for the team but it is concerning that his playing time has dipped (I hate you Tony Pulis).
- Michael Bradley (CM – AS Roma, Serie A) - Have you seen the VW commercial he did in Italy (No need to justify his selection)?
- Jermaine Jones (CM – Schalke 04, German Bundesliga) - Oh Jermaine…Coach K likes you but I think you have a similar dilemma to Altidore in that I’m not sure if Coach K is using you the right way.
- Maurice Edu (CM/CB – Stoke City, EPL) - I’m not a fan but I think he deserves to be on the roster. He shouldn’t be a starter.
- Sasha Kljestan (CM – Anderlecht, Juplier Pro League) - I really hope Coach K gives him a chance but that’s being rather optimistic, no?
- Francisco Torres (CM – Tigres, La Liga MX) - He was playing well and was most likely going to get a call up until he got hurt. I believe he’ll get called if healthy.
- Graham Zusi (CM/RM – Sporting KC, MLS) - I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him by far…which is both frustrating and exciting at the same time.
- Daniel Williams (CDM/RB - 1899 Hoffenhiem, German Bundesliga) - His playing time isn’t as consistent as it used to be but I’m a fan.
- Joe Corona (AM/RM - Tijuana, Liga MX) - I think we need an attacking option on the bench and he’s the most deserving to me.
- Clint Dempsey (AM/FW – Tottenham, EPL) - Clint had two goals for the Spurs today (No need to justify his selection either)!
- Landon Donovan (RM/LM/FW – LA Galaxy, MLS) - I think if he’s back to full fitness and form, he will make the roster. No question.
- Jozy Altidore (FW – AZ, Eredivisie) - I think he’s starting to figure out how he fits this team and with that will come some goals when all clicks.
- Herculez Gomez (FW – Santos Laguna, Liga MX) - The dude is playing so well (and is perhaps my favorite player on twitter).
- Eddie Johnson (FW – Seattle Sounders, MLS) - He adds some muscle and pace to this squad.