The first ten minutes and the final ten minutes provided all the scoring in an entertaining affair at Red Bull Arena on Saturday night. New York Red Bulls rebounded from a midweek loss to Sporting Kansas City with a 4-1 rout of their northeastern rivals, the New England Revolution. New York would engineer all five goals — including the one for the Revs on the scoreboard.
Dax McCarty nabbed the first goal just four minutes into the match, corralling a pass from Tim Cahill and driving a low shot from just over 20 yards out that beat New England goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth. But the lead lasted just two minutes, as Brandon Barklage knocked a header into his own net on a New England set piece to give the Revs a gift-wrapped equalizer.
Barklage soon atoned for his defensive gaffe, hitting Fabian Espindola with a gorgeous pass that the Argentine striker slipped inside the far post to reclaim a Red Bulls lead. The sides would trade chances late in the first half, but neither would score before the intermission as the scoreline held at 2-1.
The last two goals came courtesy of some great work by Jonathan Steele, both as a set-up man and as a sniper. The midfielder first set up Thierry Henry in the 82nd minute, setting up the Frenchman with a well-timed pass behind the defense that Henry collected to beat Shuttleworth for the insurance tally. Then, just over a minute before stoppage time, Steele finished off a cross from Eric Alexander to net his first goal as a member of the Red Bulls.
Outmatched throughout, the Revolution were unable to return to New England with even one point. Since stealing a victory on opening day over the Chicago Fire, the Revs have gone winless and now sit just one point above DC United at the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings. With the win the Red Bulls move at least temporarily into a playoff spot, though they have also played more matches than any other team in the league.
NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION @ NEW YORK RED BULLS
Red Bull Arena
April 20, 2013
- 4′ — NY/Dax McCarty (Tim Cahill)
- 6′ — NE/Brandon Barklage (own goal)
- 8′ — NY/Fabian Espindola (Brandon Barklage)
- 82′ — NY/Thierry Henry (Jonathan Steele)
- 89′ — NY/Jonathan Steele (Eric Alexander, Andre Akpan)
- NY (4-1-2-1-2): Luis Robles; Roy Miller, Heath Pearce, Markus Holgersson, Brandon Barklage (Jamison Olave/80′); Dax McCarty; Jonathan Steele, Eric Alexander; Tim Cahill (Lloyd Sam/61′); Fabian Espindola (Andre Akpan/82′), Thierry Henry
- NE (4-4-2): Bobby Shuttleworth; Chris Tierney, Jose Goncalves, A.J. Soares (Stephen McCarthy/18′), Andrew Farrell; Lee Nguyen, Andy Dorman (Juan Carlos Toja/61′), Kalifa Cisse, Kelyn Rowe; Diego Fagundez (Saer Sene/61′), Jerry Bengston
Tags: Andre Akpan Bobby Shuttleworth Brandon Barklage Dax McCarty Eric Alexander Fabian Espindola Game Recap Jonathan Steele Luis Robles MLS New England Revolution New York Red Bulls Thierry Henry Tim Cahill