Playing for 90’s transfer gossip column brings you all the latest news and rumours of ins and outs of the Premier League and abroad during this exciting transfer window. Today we hear of Manchester City’s struggles to sign Paul Pogba, Liverpool’s attempts to prise Christian Benteke away from Aston Villa, and much more. Brought to you by co-editor Kevin Kelly.
Liverpool on Brink of Benteke Capture
According to Talksport Liverpool are on the verge of signing Christian Benteke. Talksport’s Anfield insider Graham Beecroft claims a deal is now imminent.
Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, he said: “My understanding is Christian Benteke, who has been on their radar for some time, is very close indeed to signing for Liverpool.
“I expect him to sign if not today then certainly in the not too distant future. Liverpool have done their work and have sealed a deal [with Aston Villa].”
Brendan Rodgers has already made six signings this summer – James Milner,
Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Joe Gomez, Nathaniel Clyne and Roberto Firmino.
Man City Confident On De Bruyne, But Fall Short for Pogba
According to the Daily Mail Manchester City are increasingly confident of landing Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg, but have seemingly lost out on Paul Pogba, who according to Spanish media has seen Barcelona agree a fee with Juventus for the player.
City’s fears that Pogba could end up at Barcelona next year were confirmed Wednesday when two senior representatives of the Spanish club, Ariedo Braida and Albert Soler, met with Juve’s managing director Giuseppe Marotta and sporting director Fabio Paratici at a Milan restaurant.
Marotta later confirmed that a bid of £56.7million had been received for Pogba, but insisted the 22-year-old France midfielder would not be sold. Although Barcelona cannot sign any players until a transfer embargo is lifted in January, and will not know the identity of their club president until an election on July 18, it is understood that they want to put a deal in place for Pogba to remain in Turin next season and then move to the Nou Camp in a year’s time.
Meanwhile, City’s hopes of signing De Bruyne have been lifted by indications that the 24-year-old Belgium forward will ask Wolfsburg to listen to offers for him when talks begin over a new contract next week.
His agent Patrick de Koster said Wednesday: ‘Will Kevin definitely stay with Wolfsburg? I await their proposal. Let the club prove that he is incredibly important and that they themselves are ambitious.
‘They can call if they have a top offer prepared. It could turn out to be a ridiculous proposal.’
Szczesny was ‘lied to’ by Wenger
Wojciech Szczesny was ‘lied to’ by Arsene Wenger over future after £11m transfer of Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech.
Former Polish goalkeeper Jan Tomaszewski has claimed that Szczesny, who lost his No 1 place on New Year’s Day after a terrible performance at Southampton and then being caught smoking in the showers, was given false promises by the Arsenal manager.
“In January I spoke to [Poland manager] Adam Nawalka and he said that Arsene Wenger had told him that if Szczesny worked hard in training he would play again soon,” Tomaszewski told Polish newspaper Przeglad.
Tomaszewski, who won 63 caps for Poland, added: “Wojciech must be devastated. This [Petr Cech transfer] is a big problem also for the Polish national team.
West Suffer Centre-back Set Back
West Ham United suffered a setback in their pursuit of a top-class central defender after being told they will have to bid more than £20 million for Dynamo Kiev’s Aleksandar Dragovic, claim the Telegraph.
More from Playing for 90
- Alexia Putellas reaches 400 games with Barcelona
- Everything you need to know ahead of the 250th ‘Super Clásico’
- Barcelona put five past Real Betis
- Manchester City suffer but come away with win over West Ham
- Baffling Liga MX ruling strips Puebla of a hard-earned victory
Although that is a blow for West Ham – who hope to confirm the permanent signing of the midfielder Alex Song on a free transfer from Barcelona and a second season-long loan for Carl Jenkinson from Arsenal in the next 48 hours – there will be excitement at the sight of another centre-half, Reece Oxford.
Oxford will make his debut in the sold-out Europa League tie at home on Thursday night against the tiny Andorran club, FC Lusitans. Oxford is 16 years and 198 days old, and will become the youngest player in West Ham’s history after being selected by the club’s Under‑21 coach Terry Westley, who is in charge of the team. Oxford is likely to play in midfield.
Slaven Bilic, West Ham’s new manager, will be in the stands but, partly because Westley is blooding Oxford and other youngsters such as Reece Burke and Lewis Page, the Croat will not coach the side.