Playing for 90’s transfer gossip column brings you all the latest news and rumours of ins and outs from the Premier League and abroad, including news on the future of Kevin De Bruyne.
Wolfsburg allow De Bruyne exit
According to the Daily Mirror Wolfsburg have given permission to Kevin De Bruyne to leave for Manchester City, if they pay £50m. The Bundesliga side insisted last week that they wouldn’t sell the Belgian after qualifying for the Champions League, with CEO Klaus Allofs claiming he was “unsellable”.
But their top brass have failed to persuade the 24-year-old to sign a new contract, with the former Chelsea player indicating he would love a return to the Premier League with City. And now, Wolfsburg have made it known they will listen to offers, with their starting price at around £50m.
City won’t go that high after splashing out a similar figure on Raheem Sterling last month, but they believe there is room for negotiation.
And if the fee drops to around £38m, then a deal will be struck.
Blues close in on full-back
The Daily Star report that Baba Rahman has agreed personal terms on a switch to Chelsea, his agent has indicated. Jose Mourinho is looking to add Ghana international left-back Rahman to his squad following the sale of Filipe Luis but Stamford Bridge chiefs need to settle on a fee with German side Augsburg.
“It is only the clubs that have to find an agreement,” Rahman’s rep Sascha Empacher said.
“We on our side are agreed.”
Augsburg are said to be demanding a fee in the region of £17.5m for Rahman, 21, who played 31 times in the Bundesliga last season.
West Brom launch ambitious bid to beat Arsenal to £11m-rated Belgian starlet
West Brom have made an approach to sign Arsenal target Dennis Praet, report Talksport.
The Baggies have joined the Gunners in pursuit of the 21-year-old Anderlecht midfielder, who is considered one of Belgium’s brightest prospects having already been capped at senior level.
Tony Pulis’ scouting team watched the playmaker in action on several occasions towards the end of last season and the Midlands outfit have seemingly seen enough to want to take their interest to the next level.
According to Belgian news outlet Het Laatste Nieuws, Anderlecht are willing to sell Praet this summer but would command at least £11m for their star man. Anderlecht duo Aleksandar Mitrovic and Chancel Mbemba joined Newcastle United earlier in the transfer window and it is thought a move to the Premier League suits the former Genk youth star.
Arsenal are set to wait in the wings to see if the Baggies’ bid for Praet is successful before making their next move.
Bilic to bid £12m for Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez
The London Evening Standard report that West Ham are ready to return to Manchester United with an improved offer for Javier Hernandez of around £12 million. The club were already on the hunt for a new striker before Enner Valencia injured his ankle and knee last week, sidelining him for up to three months.
That injury has made the search more pressing, with Diafra Sakho the only one of last season’s first-choice strikers available for Sunday’s Premier League opener at Arsenal. West Ham continue to keep a close eye on Charlie Austin’s situation at QPR but remain reluctant to pay £15m for a player in the final year of his contract.
Hernandez is a realistic option. West Ham have had one offer of £8.5m rejected but are prepared to return with an improved bid for the 27-year-old. West Ham have agreed a one-season loan deal for Atletico Madrid striker Raul Jimenez but now face a battle to obtain a work permit for the Mexico striker.
Everton fears grow over defender John Stones as bidding heads towards £30m
Everton are growing increasingly concerned that they will fail to stop John Stones joining Chelsea, despite manager Roberto Martinez’s insistence that the central defender is not for sale, report the Telegraph. Chelsea are preparing a third bid of around £30 million for Stones, despite Martinez repeating his desire to keep the 21-year-old at Goodison Park.
More from Playing for 90
- Alexia Putellas reaches 400 games with Barcelona
- Everything you need to know ahead of the 250th ‘Super Clásico’
- Barcelona put five past Real Betis
- Manchester City suffer but come away with win over West Ham
- Baffling Liga MX ruling strips Puebla of a hard-earned victory
While Martinez is demonstrating a brave front, Everton insiders fear that the club will ultimately be forced to let Stones move to Stamford Bridge once Chelsea go over the £30 million mark. Everton are already closing in on one senior central defender to join the club, with Manchester United’s Jonny Evans, Celtic’s Virgil van Dijk and Swansea City’s Ashley Williams all among their targets.
It is also understood that Everton are looking at younger options, as they attempt to plan for the possibility of Stones leaving. Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho last week refused to discuss his bid for Stones, despite previously expressing his admiration for the player. The Premier League champions have failed with offers of £20 million and £26 million, but remain hopeful a deal worth up to £34 million can be agreed.