Wigan defeats heavily favored Manchester City to win the cup in 2013
Wigan Athletic achieved infamy in 2013 by becoming the first team to win the FA Cup and be relegated in the same season.
More from Playing for 90
- Alexia Putellas reaches 400 games with Barcelona
- Everything you need to know ahead of the 250th ‘Super Clásico’
- Barcelona put five past Real Betis
- Manchester City suffer but come away with win over West Ham
- Baffling Liga MX ruling strips Puebla of a hard-earned victory
Manchester City were heavy favorites for the trophy when they met the Latics at Wembley on May 11th, 2013. Things didn’t go as planned for Roberto Mancinci’s side.
The match was deadlocked 0-0 when City defender Pablo Zabaleta was sent off in the 84th minute.
As the match headed in to three minutes of stoppage time, Wigan substitute Ben Watson headed home the game winner. It was Wigan’s first major trophy in the club’s 81 year existence.
Three days later Wigan lost at Arsenal 4-1 and were relegated from the top flight.