5. Tottenham are tired of the tabloids
Predictably, Spurs weren’t given a real chance to relish in their North London Derby victory by the English press. In the immediate aftermath of the club’s 2-0 win over Arsenal, rumours about the future of several key Tottenham stars began to crop up.
More from Playing for 90
- Alexia Putellas reaches 400 games with Barcelona
- Everything you need to know ahead of the 250th ‘Super Clásico’
- Barcelona put five past Real Betis
- Manchester City suffer but come away with win over West Ham
- Baffling Liga MX ruling strips Puebla of a hard-earned victory
Seemingly, the most credible of these reports are connecting Kyle Walker with a summer move to Manchester City. As the story goes, he isn’t satisfied with his wages or the fact that he rotates matches with Kieran Trippier. Some claim that Pochettino isn’t fully satisfied with Walker’s fitness. Add it all up, and you could easily see him sold this summer for a massive transfer fee.
As if that weren’t enough, the tabloids have been lit ablaze with stories about Toby Alderweireld’s contract status. Reportedly he and the club are quibbling over £10 thousand per week. You’ll forgive me if I don’t get too concerned about that sum of money in May.
Whether or not these rumours prove to be true is immaterial to this match. The Tottenham squad will be happy to get back on the pitch and give the press something meaningful to talk about. Expect the noise around the squad to galvanize the players and help them put in a dominant performance against West Ham.