Well it is finally the day that we get to find out who was picked in the 2015 MLS Expansion Draft. Two teams, Orlando City SC and New York City FC alternated taking players that were left unprotected by their current club. The draft went ten rounds with a total of 20 players being selected. Lets see if who you had number one, went number one to Orlando City.
More from MLS
- Coming to America – a game-changer by the name of Lionel Messi
- Lionel Messi set to join MLS side Inter Miami
- Canadian MLS clubs split points in Matchweek 5
- Herrera aims to erase memories of injury-prone debut season
- Matchday 4 Canadian MLS recap
Here are a set of rules for protecting players and what happens after a player was selected by either expansion club:
"“MLS clubs may protect 11 players between their Senior Roster and their Supplemental Roster. If the player’s contract expires at the end of 2014, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.• If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate subject to terms of the CBA.• If a player retires, he will not be a part of the club’s roster, but his club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.• Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster, other than generation Adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season or Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster, will be part of the expansion draft.• Generation Adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster at the end of the 2014 MLS season are automatically protected (clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).• If NYCFC or Orlando City SC selects a Supplemental Roster Player, it must offer him a Senior Roster position and he must remain on the Senior Roster as of Roster Compliance Date.• Clubs are restricted in the number of International Player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of International Players equal to their total number of International Players minus three, provided that if a club has three or fewer International Players it may make available not more than one.• For purposes of this expansion process, any non-domestic U.S. players will count as an International.• Designated Players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected.• Once two players have been claimed from a team’s non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players. In addition, once a player has been claimed from a club’s non-protected roster, that club may move a player from its non-protected roster to its protected roster.• Rounds: The expansion draft will consist of 10 rounds.”"
- There will be ten (10) rounds.
- NYCFC and Orlando City are permitted three (3) minutes to make each selection.
- Once the Player has been selected, the club that “lost” the player is permitted two (2) minutes to add a new player to their protected roster.
- There will be a two (2) minute intermission between the fifth and sixth rounds (i.e., after the 10th pick).
- There will be NO timeouts during the Expansion Draft.
Failure to Make Selection in Designated Time
- Expansion clubs that fail to make their selection in time must wait until their next pick to make a selection.
- Clubs that fail to add a player to their protected roster in time will lose their ability to do so.
- No trades are permitted during the Expansion Draft.
The odd picks (1,3,5,etc.) are Orlando City, while the even picks (2,4,6,etc.) are New York City FC’s.
Well there you have it. What did you think about the 2015 MLS Expansion Draft? Were there any surprise picks? Let us know in the comments below.
I was 100% shocked that Donovan Ricketts went number one overall. I know Tally Hall is recovering from an ACL injury. Ricketts will be a good backup until Hall is ready to go. I feel that New York City FC got the better players in the draft. We shall see exactly how both teams do with their draft picks.
It appears that Jalil Anibaba will be headed to Sporting KC as the future consideration as part of the Aurelian Collin deal from Monday, according to Paul Tenorio. This will not be the only trade of the day as Expansion Draft picks are historically traded right after the draft.