Playing for 90’s transfer gossip column brings you all the latest news and rumours of ins and outs of the Premier League and abroad during this exciting transfer window. Today we hear of Manchester United’s bid for Morgan Schneiderlin, and much more; brought tom you by co-editor Kevin Kelly.
Red Devils Make Move for Saints Star
According to the Manchester Evening News Man United have bid £20m for Morgan Schneiderlin. The want-away midfielder was desperate to leave the Saints last summer amidst interest from Spurs but the club made the Frenchman stay for the season, with him hugely impressing throughout the 2014/15 campaign for Southampton, who ended the season in 7th place – a record high.
The South Coast club value Schneiderlin at around £25m and are prepared to hold out for their asking price. There is an acceptance that he will be allowed to leave St Mary’s during this transfer window – but the club’s hierarchy refuse to let him go in a cut price deal.
Elsewhere the Daily Mirror report that Manchester United will not lower their asking price for David De Gea and could the Spanish keeper could remain in Manchester for the final year of his contract.
Reports in Spain claimed United have lowered their asking price for De Gea to around £25million, with Real’s opening gambit for the goalkeeper understood to be £15m.
But United say they have no intention of budging from their £35m valuation of De Gea – despite him having only 12 months left on his contract – and insist they have yet to receive a formal offer from Real.
More from Premier League
- Manchester City suffer but come away with win over West Ham
- Premier League match preview: Aston Villa v Crystal Palace
- Jadon Sancho refutes Erik Ten Hag’s comments
- Arsenal win in added time drama as United suffer last-minute agony
- Rudderless Chelsea lose to Nottingham Forest
Finally for the Red-Devils the Daily Star reports that they’ll launch an audacious attempt to look to swap Jonny Evans for Everton star Seamus Coleman. United boss Louis van Gaal wants Coleman to solve his right-back problem after missing out on Dani Alves and Nathaniel Clyne.
The Toffees insist Coleman is not for sale and that United are wasting their time making a bid for the Republic of Ireland international. But Man United bosses remain hopeful of landing Coleman and are set to tempt the Toffees with a cash offer plus Evans in a bid to secure a deal.
Chelsea want Stuttgart defender Antonio Rudiger
The Stuttgart defender Anthony Rudiger is a Chelsea target, according to his agent Sahr Senesie. Reports in Germany have said that Bundesliga outfit Wolfsburg have already agreed terms with the centre-back over a transfer, although Stuttgart have not yet given the green light for the move as they continue to hold out for £12.7 million.
After confirming the interest from Wolfsburg, Rudiger’s agent Sahr Senesie also revealed that Jose Mourinho’s side are keen on a move for the Germany international – but look unlikely to sign him with the defender wishing to stay in his homeland.
“I know of interest from Wolfsburg and Chelsea,” Senesie told Kicker Sport magazine.
“Antonio would prefer to stay in Germany,” he added.
Rudiger made 19 Bundesliga appearances for Stuttgart last season, but saw a knee injury restrict his time on the pitch.
Leicester look to Hiddink
The Leicester Mercury report that the Premier League club have looked to get Guus Hiddink to replace Nigel Pearson as manager. The 68-year-old has a wealth of experience with Real Madrid and Chelsea among the clubs he has previously managed.
He has also been the Holland national team boss on two occasions. Having stood down as the Dutch boss on June 29, he has become a free agent and City have made an approach to entice him to the King Power Stadium.
More from Premier League
- Manchester City suffer but come away with win over West Ham
- Premier League match preview: Aston Villa v Crystal Palace
- Jadon Sancho refutes Erik Ten Hag’s comments
- Arsenal win in added time drama as United suffer last-minute agony
- Rudderless Chelsea lose to Nottingham Forest
Aston Villa join chase to sign Anderlecht midfielder
According to Guardian Football Aston Villa have joined the race to sign Dennis Praet, the highly rated Belgium international who is also attracting interest from Southampton and Everton.
Praet is set to leave Anderlecht this summer for a fee in the region of £10m and Villa have made an inquiry about the possibility of making an offer for the midfielder.
Some of the leading clubs in Europe have pursued Praet, who is now represented by Stellar Group, the football agency that looks after Gareth Bale, and it remains to be seen whether Villa can be genuine contenders for the 21-year-old’s signature.